Wednesday, July 2, 2014

(easy!) Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp

 
This summer Pete & I are sharing a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) with another couple.  Once a week from June-October we get a half bushel of produce from a local farm and I am determined to not let any of it go to waste.
 
The last two weeks we've gotten fresh Rhubarb. Rhubarb is a vegetable rich in fiber and B vitamins (good for hair and nails!) and the tartness is perfect with a little sugar or whipped cream if you want to eat it on its own.  When we were kids we used to sit outside on the back steps with fresh, raw rhubarb and a bowl of sugar on a summer night so before I made this crisp I saved a few stalks for snacking.
 


 
 

 



Make sure you chop the ends and the leaves which can be poisonous if eaten -and keep your nosy cats away from chomping on the leaves which they will most likely try to do.
 
 
Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
1lb fresh, chopped Rhubarb
1lb fresh, chopped Strawberries (adds some more sweetness if the rhubarb is too tart for you)
1/2 C. packed Brown sugar
1 t. Vanilla
1 t. Lemon juice
1 C. AP Flour
1 C. quick-cooking Oats
1/2 C. softened Butter
1/4 t. Salt
 
Heat oven to 350.  Grease a 13"x9" baking dish.
Mix Rhubarb, Strawberries, Brown sugar, Vanilla, and Lemon juice.  Add to the baking dish.
Mix Flour, Oats, Butter, and Salt with a fork until the mixture is crumbly. 
Crumble the crumble with your hands over the top of the fruit mix in the baking dish, making sure you're crumbling the crumble evenly.
Bake 40-45 minutes or until the crumble is golden brown and the fruit mix is bubbling.
Serve warm with fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.




9 comments:

  1. this looks amazing! I've been craving rhubarb crisp for the longest time. Ryan's grandma has a ton in her backyard. We have to drive over an hour to get there, but its well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH YUM!!! Thanks for the recipe Syndal! I may have to make this for 4th of July! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to try this! I love strawberry + rhubarb; it's my favorite- reminds me of my grandma's pie when I was young.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love rhubarb crisp! So yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rhubarb crisp is one of my favorites! My mama is making it for the 4th. If you have anymore & need something else to do with it, rhubarb slush is really really good. My grandma used to make it all the time. I can try to find a recipe if you want/need it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! If I ever find rhubarb in Abu Dhabi I will try this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post, looks tasty and I'd love to try it out!

    www.internetlyaddicted.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that actually looks awesome! We get fruits/veggies delivered from local forms every other week, might have to look into getting some rhubarb!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never had raw rhubarb before but now I want it!! Looks awesome, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete