Tuesday, July 8, 2014

4th of July Weekend on the North Shore

Our weekend for the 4th did not start out as planned.


We left home Thursday night to head to Two Harbors to spend the weekend with Pete's fam and while on the highway the car decided to just....stop going. 
This has happened a couple times before-it's an older car with over 212,000 miles on it.  But we've always been able to restart it.  3 hours and $300 dollars later we got the car towed, my stepdad came and got us, and we went back home and tried again in the morning with my car.  We knew Pete would be needing a new car at some point, but we are not completely prepared for it to be now. Mr. Toyota had other plans.

Once we got to Two Harbors all was good.  The weather was beautiful and the whole fam was able to be there.  We spent the 4th of July afternoon sitting outside, playing lawn games, and eating.  It was nice.  And I finally got to wear my 4th of July shoes I bought on clearance last year :)

 
Pete's Brother, Andy and our niece big K.
In the evening Pete & I did some sparklers and fireworks off of the deck.  We got to see some big fireworks across Lake Superior in the distance.


The next morning we went for a walk through Two Harbors and again the weather was beautiful.


Grandma and Grandpa stayed home with the little kids so the big kids could go hang out.  Pete and I went with his brother, sister, and our brother in law for drinks and afternoon appetizers on the patio.  We never get to hang out like that so it was super fun.

Afterwards we all met at the beach to play with the kiddos and skip rocks.





our nephew, little G.


Sunday morning I really wanted to go fishing- we hardly get to do it here in the cities because the fishing just isn't that great and we don't have a boat.  So Pete and I went out to Stewart Lake (aka, absolutely no cell service lake) with his dad for a few hours to see what we could catch.  Again, the weather was perfect. 





I ended up catching quite a few that we mostly threw back, but we did keep a couple for our fish fry lunch :(






We got some sun and had a really fun weekend with the Ortman clan-it feels like it was almost like our first real "summer" weekend since the weather has been so cruddy. The rest of the month is going to fly by-I hope we can have more time for stuff like this!

9 comments:

  1. Even though your weekend didn't start the best, it sounds like you had a great time! Sorry to hear about your car. Car problems suck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your adorable face is so well sun-tanned! Also, Pete is lookin' trim like woah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun weekend! You have me itching to go up north now - so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving the pictures. Sorry the weekend didn't start out the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about the car. That sucks! I'm glad you had so much fun w/ Pete's Family. It looks like a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the pictures look amazing, but I really can't stop thinking about those shoes. LOVE!!! So sorry about the car :-(

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun weekend!!! Sorry to hear about the car...huge bummer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so obsessed with your shoes! SO cute! I'm sorry to hear about your car....hope you find a good deal on a new one. Your lake pictures have me so jealous!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like such a great weekend! I would love to be bobbing around a lake right now - it should be a rule that all weekends in summer are long weekends. Love those shoes too!!

    ReplyDelete